Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Open Season On Capitol Hill

I've been on the verge of going nuts lately. Just as I find a nutty quote from some high-level politico to blog about, another one pops up and smacks me in the face. I was going to take apart some of the really ridiculous ones, but this article from the Washington Post proves any efforts on my part to do so pointless by summarizing the craziest quotes from recent weeks.

So what do I think? Personally, I can't help agreeing somewhat with Tom DeLay and, to a less extreme extent, Rep. John Hostettler, when they say that Democrats keep attacking Christians. While the Democratic Party doesn't seem to outright hate the faithful, some members seem to like whipping them as if knocking a Christian down will somehow elevate acceptance of other religions. I'm not cutting on people of any spirituality when I say that; the point is, it feels as though some Democrats, the ACLU, and their allies think suppressing some Christian privileges will grant more liberties to non-Christians. That's obviously counter-productive. How can you build tolerance without being tolerant yourself? But don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those Republicans who's against separation of church and state; it's part of the Constitution, and I know how I would feel if I were an atheist in the middle of a school prayer. However, too many activists confuse "separation of church and state" with "separation of church". There's something about that thought process that just isn't right.

The rest of the rhetoric in the article gets more and more absurd. This is open season on Capitol Hill, and the ideologues are in their tree stands waiting for a prime buck to target. Take a look at it for yourself to see the token Hitler comparisons and other such drivel. I would blog about this stuff every time it went public, but keeping pace with a Washington summer is nearly impossible. Unless, of course, you're Glenn Reynolds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home