Thursday, March 03, 2005

A Look at Intelligent Design

This article on the decline of atheism in the world is absolutely captivating. I try not to bring religion into my blogging out of a desire to keep politics and religion reasonably separate. For the record, I am a Christian, which I tell you partially so you may understand me and partially so you may know my biases. Does that mean my opinions on the issues are influenced by my beliefs? Yes, it does; however, I feel that religion becomes what it should not be - materialistic - when mixed too heavily with politics. I don't consider myself fully part of the religious right, either, mainly because I am neutral on abortion (in most cases) and not a pure creationist. Instead of being strictly a creationist, I mix in a little science by subscribing to the intelligent design theory, which allows creation and evolution to co-exist. This is part of the reason why I'm linking the article, as it details how more scientists are coming to agree with the intelligent design theory and turning away from straight evolutionism. One of the biggest reasons for doing so is the dawning realization that some things simply cannot be explained by science as we know it. An excerpt from the article:

As British philosopher Anthony Flew, once as hard-nosed a humanist as any, mused when turning his back on his former belief: It is, for example, impossible for evolution to account for the fact than one single cell can carry more data than all the volumes of the Encyclopedia Britannica put together.

Flew still does not accept the God of the Bible. But he has embraced the intelligent design concept of scholars such as William Dembski who only four years ago claimed to have been mobbed by pro-evolutionist colleagues at – of all places – Baylor University, a highly respected Southern Baptist institution in Waco, Tex.


It's a great read. Equally curious is information appearing later in the article that suggests paganism is replacing atheism in European countries. Check it out; regardless of your creed, it's a very provocative article.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home