Sunday, February 20, 2005

A Toast to the Post

After nearly two weeks and a false alarm, the Dominion Post has finally published the article that I was interviewed for. Although I honestly expected a little more (why didn't they print the blog URLs?), it was still a great article with two authors. One was Palma Benczenleitner (reporting from Germany), and the other was Morgantowner Krista Reott, who interviewed me and a few other bloggers. Although I would be typing for a very long time if I posted a full transcript, I'll give you the portion about myself. It's really not very lengthy at all. Note that some of the article was written with chat acronyms, which was a clever effect but a little confusing.
FYI: 'The unknown blogger' is a he
One unidentified student, "the unknown blogger" uses his blog as a political forum, often criticizing the campus newspaper for holding a liberal bias on the opinion page.
The only thing anyone really knows abt (sic) the anonymous poster is that he's a journalism student. Yes, it's a he. The unknown blogger has intrigued the blogging community. He keeps his identity a secret b/c (sic), he says, "When people know who you are, particularly if they know you personally, they judge your viewpoints before knowing them. If you can't place a name to my blog, I believe it makes you more open to what I have to say."

I have to say that, if you had to choose one quote from my interview, then that quote about why I retain anonymity is far and away the best choice. It was the one thing I told her that I can still remember perfectly. I also told her that I actually really like the DA, but I give criticism and praise to them when it's due. For the record, I don't consider pure opinion to be bias so long as there is some kind of visible attempt to get both sides to comment on the issue. Besides, bias is what creeps up in the other pages and parts of the media when one general group of views is shared among the staff; it's not a conscious effort by most reporters to put a political spin on the issues, but when you work with so many people who share your views, then what gets printed is simply what the staff holds to be the "correct" view. In fact, most journalists who are more liberal that work for large organizations consider themselves to be moderates with mainstream viewpoints. If you can fix an opinion page, you're halfway there to fixing the paper because a discourse now exists.

Alright, back to the story: I only have two real criticisms, but I think they're fairly minor. First of all, the web addresses (URLs) of the bloggers that were mentioned should have all been printed. Marketing major Justin Lawrence's web address was printed, but my address and the address of English major Rachael Brady were left out. The second thing is really, really minor; as far as the blogosphere is concerned, my name is "The Unknown Blogger," not the improper "the unknown blogger." Oh well, I'm still grateful for even being involved with this, and if this is all the criticism I have, then you did an excellent job with the article. If you have a chance to pick up a copy of the Dominion Post, you'd best do so quickly, as they were extremely hard to find around campus today. And for those of you out tonight in Morgantown - or wherever you may be - make a toast to the Post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home